The dictionary meaning of education is the process of receiving or giving systematic instruction, especially at a school or university Or in other words, completing particular course of studies, thereafter, joining respective jobs and earning money. Are you satisfied with this meaning of education? Do you think school or university are the only places where people get educated? Normally it is believed that, education with schooling and once he/she completes his schooling, he/she will be considered as educated. Is it so? Do you think only passing of an examination makes a person educated?
So what about those who have never stepped into an educational institution? Are they all uneducated? Nope. It’s not. Dictionary meaning is a narrow view. But in broader sense, education is a big concept. In every moment of life we learn something or other, education is not limited to classroom. For example, when a toddler sees rain drops he/she asks you “from its coming?” or “oh! shower is on outside the bathroom” haha! that means he is learning about rain :). An aged grandparents may ask questions regarding internet, “Beta, Ye kaise hotha hai (How it happens?)“, at the that old age they are asking you question, that also means they learn about new things! An individual learns irrespective of his age! That is education!
Education is its wider includes all the influences which act upon an individual during his passage from the cradle to the grave.
What is studied in the classroom makes us a literate, further, after completing a course of study, we will be considered as a graduate. Clearly, the receiving or conferring of an academic degree or diploma makes us a graduate person. Let’s go little deeper about Education then, just by completing or passing an examination doesn’t makes a person an educated! Personality and attitude of an individual should represent him/her as an educated person. It should be shown in words, actions and your views!
The following are the essentials one should develop to be an educated person than to be a graduated person!
1. PEACEFUL METHODS:
- Patience is great sign of “being an educated person”
- Be patient with yourself and the process.
- Solving problems by talking with patience instead of being violent and spitting hateful words to others.
2. RESPECTING OTHERS:
- Respect can be both given and/or received. … but you will be respected only you respect others!
- Listening to others is the one of best form of showing respect!
- Respect as a form of behavior and participation, we should raise our children in such a way that, they serve/conduct themselves in the society in the right manner.
3. CO-OPERATIVE LIVING:
- Adjusting with all kinds of people.
- An individual should safe guard interest of other and should have brotherhood feeling towards others.
- An educated person should be co-operative to others irrespective of human race.
- Being open to listen to other by giving them chance to express their ideas and thoughts etc.
- By giving freedom to others you will be respected by them.
- See things from different sides, from different angles, in different ways and trying understand the other person, appreciating them.
- Brotherhood feeling towards all human beings.
- Being able to not to discriminate as superior and inferior, the rich and the poor, caste and creed, color and race, clam and tribes, groups and classes.
- Self control.
- Agreeing to individual differences.
- Maintaining healthy relationship with others.
- Being open-minded.
7. GOOD CITIZENS:
- Obeying the laws of his country
- Contributing to society.
- Participates in public affairs with wisdom.
Modification of behavior is true means of education. Contact with the society and people adds experiences to ones life. Education is not only limited to the schooling, it’s sum of total life experiences. Education is essential to make a man fit for the society! Man becomes “human being” when he undergoes process of education. It is a process of humanizing.